- 60 g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 200 g dried pitted dates (or fresh)
- 300 g water
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 90 g rapadura or quality brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 170 g cassava flour (or a GF flour blend)
- Line a loaf tin or round baking tin with baking paper or grease with butter or coconut oil. Pre Heat oven to 180°C
- Place pitted dates into food processor, mix until chopped into tiny bits
- Pour into a pot on the stove and add water, heating it up for about 6 minutes. Add Bicarbonate soda, stir through and set aside.
- Place rapadura sugar and butter into the food processor (or use beaters) and mix until light and creamy, scrape down sides if needed.
- Add in the eggs 1 at a time until combined.
- Add vanilla, the flour and reserved date mixture until all are combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake for 50min or the knife is pulled out clean from the centre of the cake (a way to test the cake is cooked)
- Place pitted dates into mixing bowl and chop
8 sec/speed 7.
Add water and heat
5 min/100°C/speed 1, then mix 10 sec/speed 4.
- Add bicarbonate of soda and combine
3 sec/speed 2. Transfer into a bowl and set aside. Thoroughly clean and dry mixing bowl.
- Place Rapadura sugar into mixing bowl and mill
10 sec/speed 9.
- Insert butterfly whisk. Add butter and mix
10 sec/speed 4. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula, then mix for a further 1 min/speed 4or until light and creamy
speed 4, adding eggs 1 at a time through hole in mixing bowl lid until combined. Remove butterfly whisk.
- Add natural vanilla extract, self-raising flour and reserved date mixture and combine
5 sec/speed 4. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula and repeat mixing if needed.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for 50 minutes.
Jo Whitton's Caramel Sauce
I take no credit for this part - Jo always has the best sauce that goes with her banana ice cream. I use this sauce for everything.
- 100g Rapadura or coconut sugar or pure maple syrup
- 100g coconut cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or 1 large tsp vanilla bean paste)
- a pinch of Himalayan salt
Heat all ingredients together until combined and warmed to thicken (around 5-8minutes depending on your stove). OR in thermomix 5 min, veroma, speed 3.
Pour Over the top.
Also used banana nicecream (literally just blended frozen bananas) for this on the side (Another Jo Special).